Luz Helena is a partner and heads the Firm’s Intellectual Property and Technology, and Privacy and Cybersecurity practice groups. She is regularly ranked as a top tier lawyer in the field by major legal directories. She has more than 30 years of experience managing complex IP portfolios for multinational and local companies. She has advised clients from multiple jurisdictions on drafting and negotiating contracts, distribution agreements, sponsorship agreements, licenses, privacy, consumer protection, and information technology.
Clients recognize her ability to pinpoint possible risks and to provide detailed and nuanced advice while strategizing about sophisticated solutions. She stands out for her practical approach and her skills in building rapport and enduring relationships with clients. She is regularly engaged in academic activities, either as a professor at top law schools in the country or as an attendee of high-level certified courses. Her clients span the full range of industry sectors, including food and beverages, information technology, health and consumer products, air transportation, and clothing and apparel.
- Multinational and local companies: Permanent counseling to clients on their intellectual and industrial property portfolios, both in their selection and protection, including patents, copyrights, trademarks, consumer protection, promotional activities, warranties, advertisement, regulatory matters, entertainment, and privacy.
- Multinational and local companies: Assists clients with the design of policies and mechanisms to enforce IP (globally and regionally), as this is a competitive tool for clients in the market.
- Multinational and local companies: Assists clients on international commercial agreements, e-commerce terms/online consumer-facing sales terms, social media and mobile messaging platforms, privacy issues as well as on all consumer protection issues involving advertising, warranties, sweepstakes, etc.
Honors and Awards
- Marcasur Premio a la Excelencia 2015
- Chambers Latin America 2016, Intellectual Property (Band 1)
- Chambers Global 2016, Intellectual Property (Band 1)
- Legal 500 Latin America 2015, Intellectual Property (Leading Lawyers)
- Best Lawyers 2013, Bogotá Intellectual Property - Lawyer of the Year
Activities and Affiliations
- Board of Colombian Association of Industrial Property (ACPI)
- National Delegate of the Interamerican Association of Intellectual Property (ASIPI)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Association Internationale pour la Protection de la propriété intellectuelle (AIPPI)
- Industrial Property Committee of the Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
- Colombian Center Copyright (CECOLDA)
Prior and Present Employment
- Dentons Cardenas & Cardenas, Partner, 2001-present
- Cárdenas & Cárdenas Abogados Ltda, Associate, 1990-2000
- Cavelier Abgados, Associate, 1983-1990