Lorena is a partner and heads the Firm’s Employment and Labor group. She is regularly ranked as a leading lawyer in the field by major legal directories. She combines her position as head of the labor and immigration team with her commercial and corporate practice.
Her scope of experience covers the full range of labor and employment work, including ongoing advisory and compliance work, negotiations with trade unions, immigration, compensation and stock option plans, and the labor aspects of major local and cross-border transactions. She is also regularly involved in sensitive litigation proceedings before Colombia’s labor and administrative courts. She advises on compliance with Colombian labor, immigration, and business laws and regulations, including the incorporation, acquisition, and start-up of businesses, hiring packages, the design and implementation of broad-based equity compensation plans and the full range of share and options plans, including performance-based packages, while also taking into account compliance with relevant tax, securities, and corporate and employment laws.
Lorena and her team are constantly recognized for their proactive solutions to local and foreign-based companies in these delicate processes, ensuring that employers are fully protected against any future claims.
- Multinational companies: Providing legal advice on shares, options, and other plans for the employees of several multinational companies in sectors such as financial services and others.
- Various companies: Advising on matters related to major transactions’ labor and social security aspects. Some of the companies involved belong to sectors such as energy production and solutions, airports operation, and financial services, among others.
- Multinational and local companies: Providing advice at different stages (response to requirements to declare or amend, motion for reconsideration, annulment and restoration of rights actions, etc.) of the control proceedings on contributions to social security and parafiscal contributions developed by the UGPP (Unidad de Gestión Pensional y Parafiscales) [Pensions and Parafiscal Management Unit].
- Company: Advising on employer substitution/retirement plans in cases of companies’ sale. During 2015, the area has structured several voluntary retirement and employer substitution plans.
- Local and multinational companies: Permanent representation in lawsuits for claims of different type of employees.
Honors and Awards
- Chambers Latin America 2016, Labor & Employment (Band 3)
- Legal 500 Latin America 2015, Labor and employment (Recommended Lawyer)
- Best Lawyers
- IBA GEI Annual Global Report, IBA Global Employment Institute, 2012-2015
- The International Comparative Legal Guide to Labour Law, Global Legal Group, 2011-2015
- Social Security Regime in Health before and after Law 100 of 1993
Activities and Affiliations
- College of Work Lawyers
- International Bar Association
Prior and Present Employment
- Dentons Cardenas & Cardenas, Partner, 2008-present
- Cárdenas & Cárdenas Abogados Ltda, Associate, 1997-2007
- Links S.A Abogados, General Assistant, 1996-1997
- José Lloreda Camacho & Cia, Legal Assistant, 1992-1995