James is a partner in the Firm’s Environment and Natural Resources and market-leading Mining practice groups. Major legal directories universally rank him as a leading lawyer in this particular area of law. He has a depth of experience in mining and energy law, telecommunications, notary and registration. He has advised national and foreign companies for more than 30 years in their areas of specialization, as well as corporate, environmental, aviation, infrastructure and financial affairs.
- Norvista Resources Corporation (Calvista and Solvista): Advising on the application mining titles and government procedures and the respective monitoring before the relevant mining and environmental. Likewise, the legal advise included an International Arbitration with a group of Colombian miners that claimed they had suffered breach of a contract in the international sale of various mining titles (gold). Amount of the transaction: US$50 million.
- Financiera Pagos Internacionales S.A. - Compañía de Financiamiento: Advising on a credit agreement entered into by certain shareholders of the company Financiera Pagos Internacionales S.A. - Compañía de Financiamiento, a Colombian financial institution, as borrowers, and Capital Bank S.A. as lender. Amount of transaction: US$15 million.
- Pasofino Gold Corporation and Crown Gold Corporation: Advising on the negotiation of the required documentation in order to terminate the relationship between the former shareholders of Inversiones Villamora S.A.S.
- Rio Tinto: Advising on all of their former operations in Colombia. This included the application for over two hundred mining titles and government procedures and the respective monitoring before the relevant mining and environmental. The Firm also provided counsel in the execution of option agreements to acquire mining titles and the structuring of agreements over Rio Tinto's mining assets in Colombia.
- Ashmont Resources: Acting as counsel to this Canadian company in their acquisition of several mining interests in Colombia. Ashmont acquired in past years several options over titles located in Colombia. Our firm advised the company in the drafting of the documents for the closing of the transaction, and performed due diligence on the properties. The Firm has also issued legal and title opinions directed at the Board of Directors of Ashmont and third parties.
Honors and Awards
- Chambers Latin America 2016, Energy & Natural Resources: Mining (Band 2)
- Chambers Global 2016, Energy & Natural Resources (Band 3)
- Legal 500 Latin America 2015, Energy and Natural Resources (Recommended Lawyer)
Activities and Affiliations
- College of Universidad Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Señora del Rosario Lawyers
- College of Mining and Petroleum Lawyers
Prior and Present Employment
- Dentons Cardenas & Cardenas, Partner, 2001-present
- Cárdenas & Cárdenas Abogados Ltda., Senior Associate, 1979-2001