Rely on our Intellectual Property and Technology group—one of Colombia’s premier players in the field—which has more than 75 years of experience advising on all aspects of IP law, including patents, trademarks, and copyrights.
Our lawyers not only advise on patent and trademark prosecution, litigation and related transactions (including seizures and counterfeiting matters), but also effectively act as outsourced in-house counsel for you, assisting you with IP portfolio management. We also counsel on privacy, consumer protection, and regulatory matters.
Our lawyers have the litigation experience to not only protect your copyrights, but advise on all aspects of design, anti-piracy campaigns and licensing agreements. Well versed on the rapid changes brought by the Internet, we advise major clients from the art, music, radio, television, IT, and motion picture industries on the protection of intellectual property.
Led by experienced lawyers and patent engineers with a history of working on behalf of a wide range of industries including chemicals, electronics software, hardware, petroleum, medical devices, we assist you with the filing and prosecution of patent designs and coordinate protection strategies in Colombia and globally. We vigorously enforce your patents through injunctions, court proceedings and conciliation hearings, and are regularly involved in local and multi-jurisdictional proceedings.
We advise you on the full life cycle of your trademarks: from registration to litigation, our assistance encompasses applications, oppositions, responses to official actions and litigation. Our prosecution experience involves the systematization, organization and control of IP portfolios belonging to the same economic group, often across national borders, and we regularly protect the rights of trademark owners, including "passing off" cases.
When your legal issues give rise to concerns abroad, benefit from a global footprint providing you with experienced advice from lawyers in more than 50 countries.
- Colombia’s largest brewery: Advising on: (i) online advertisement strategies; (ii) use of IP content in social media; (iii) consumer protection issues; (iv) managing their IP portfolio worldwide. We advise on a broad range of online marketing strategies, including leveraging on social media experience to assist with specific issues surrounding sport celebrities’ image rights and trademarks. Our work has included consumer protection advice, and we have assisted with the recovery of several domain names.
- Colombia's second-largest confectionary company: Advising and acting as lead counsel in Colombia, Latin America and globally to Colombia's second-largest confectionary company, operating in nearly 50 countries worldwide, on its entire IP portfolio.
- Colombian airline: Advising on: (i) online advertisement strategies vis á vis local distributors in AdWords; (ii) use of IP content in social media; (iii) settlement of infringements of the company’s trademarks; (iv) trademark use in documentaries and entertainment channels; (v) support with the review and drafting of agreements with tourism operators in order to structure the offering of touristic package services through the web; (vi) recovery of domain names registered by unauthorized third parties; and (vii) managing their IP portfolio worldwide.
- Multinational and local companies: Advising on consumer protection issues.
- Multinational car company: Advising in connection with all of its consumer protection and advertising needs, winning several cases before local court authorities based on more than 70 lawsuits brought by individual consumer claims challenging the quality and suitability of the client’s products.
- Multinational hardware and software company: Acting as local counsel in processing patent applications including software-implemented inventions of a major multinational hardware and software company. We assist the client with its entire IP portfolio in Colombia and have conducted extensive lobbying before the Colombian patent and trademark offices explaining the differences between software and other copyright-protected inventions.
- Other clients: Advising a large number of clients on trademark prosecution, litigation and transactional matters.
November 3, 2016
October 3, 2016
On October 31, 2016, the Superintendence of Industry and Commerce announced through social media that the deadline for registration in the National Database Registry will be extended to June 30, 2017. Read more
September 29, 2016
International data transfers under Colombia's Law 1581 of 2012 are allowed whenever (i) the data is transferred to third parties operating under adequate regulatory protection; (ii) the transfer is performed under consent of the data holder or any other legal exception allowing data transfer. Read more
Colombia's Superintendency of Industry and Commerce, in Resolution 59176 of 2016, issued an order that the Colombian Association of Consumer Education cease airing a TV advertisement that contained misleading statements about "the harmful effects of consuming soft drinks containing sugar," based on a lack of supporting technical or scientific evidence. Read more
View all Insights for Intellectual Property and Technology in Colombia
News and Events
Recent Press Releases
March 1, 2016
After three years of negotiations, the European Commission, the European Parliament and the Council of the European Union reached an agreement on the regulation for the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data (General Data Protection Regulation – GDPR). Read more