Eduardo is a partner who focuses on the practice areas of Corporate, Mergers and Acquisitions, Restructuring, Insolvency and Bankruptcy, Banking and Finance, and Trusts, Estates and Wealth Preservation. He is the head of the Firm’s Corporate and Mergers and Acquisitions practices. Major legal directories universally rank him as a leading Tier I lawyer.
Eduardo has more than 30 years of experience and a record of accomplishment that includes a number of the most complex, high-value transactions in Colombia’s history. His practice benefits from a period as Microsoft Corporation’s general counsel for Latin America. His client list features active, leading local and foreign entities in all major sectors of the Colombian economy and major corporate clients based in Latin America, USA, and Europe and Asia Pacific, including financial services, consumer goods, energy and natural resources, industrials, telecoms, and transportation.
- Fiduciaria Fiducor S.A. and its shareholders: Acting as local counsel in the company’s sale process to Alianza Fiduciaria S.A. Amount of the transaction: US$155 million.
- Bancolombia, Banco de Bogotá, Davivienda, and others: Acting as local counsel in a COP$3.5 billion credit to Almacenes Éxito S.A. for the purchase of interests in retail companies in Brazil and Argentina.
- Citibank N.A.: Acting as local counsel in a US$400 million loan to Almacenes Éxito for the purchase of interests in a retail company in Brazil.
- Avantel S.A.S.: Acting as local counsel in the US$140 million financing granted by Overseas Private Investment Corporation for the refinancing of existing the debt, the financing of the 4G LTE network infrastructure, and other working capital needs.
- Banco Santander, BNP Paribas, Caixabank, HSBC Bank plc: Acting as local advisor in a €80,000,000 transaction.
Honors and Awards
- Chambers Latin America 2016, M&A (Band 1)
- Chambers Global 2016, Corporate / M&A (Band 1)
- Legal 500 Latin America 2015, Corporate and M&A (Leading Lawyers)
- Legal 500 Latin America 2015, Banking & Finance (Recommended Lawyer)
- IFLR1000 2015, Leading Lawyer, Banking, Corporate and M&A, Technology and Telecoms
- Who's Who Legal, Banking and Corporate
- Best Lawyers
Activities and Affiliations
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- College of Commercial Lawyers
- College of Universidad del Rosario Lawyers
- College of mining and Petroleum Lawyers
- Board Member, Del Rosario University
Prior and Present Employment
- Dentons Cardenas & Cardenas, Partner, 2004-present
- Microsoft Corporation, Senior Corporate Attorney, Regional Counsel Latin America, 2000-2004
- Cárdenas & Cárdenas Abogados Ltda., Partner, 1978-2000
- Cárdenas & Cárdenas Abogados Ltda., Associate, 1974-1978
- Boise Cascade Corporation, 1976