Alberto is a partner in the Firm’s Competition and Antitrust, Arbitration, and Litigation and Dispute Resolution practice groups and heads the Firm’s Competition and Antitrust practice. Leading legal directories rank him as one of Colombia’s leading lawyers in these areas.
He has 20 years of experience in these fields, including a period as head of a major Colombian firm’s litigation and arbitration department. His in-depth litigation experience includes proceedings with Colombian courts at all levels, while his extensive record of accomplishment in arbitration includes domestic and cross-border proceedings under the ICC and UNCITRAL rules.
Alberto’s competition experience includes antitrust investigations and litigation proceedings before the Superintendency of Industry and Commerce, unfair trade practices, and pre-merger reviews. He has an LLM from Harvard Law School (USA).
- Foreign oil company: Acting as counseling in an international arbitration under the rules of the International Chamber of Commerce, regarding the assignment of two oil producing blocks in a transaction valued at US$22 million.
- Biodiesel plan construction: Acting as counsel in connection with an international work contract for the construction of a biodiesel plant, in a transaction valued at US$4 million.
- Well collapse arbitration: Acting as counsel for a Colombian oil services company who acted as claimant in an arbitration concerning a well’s collapse while reconditioning services were being provided on the well. Amount of the transaction: US$4.5 million.
Honors and Awards
- Chambers Latin America 2016, Dispute Resolution (Band 2)
- Chambers Latin America 2016, Competition and Antitrust (Band 2)
- Chambers Global 2016, Dispute Resolution (Band 2)
- Legal 500 Latin America 2015, Dispute Resolution (Recommended Lawyer)
- Who's Who Legal, Arbitration
- Best Lawyers
- "Arbitral procedure in the new international arbitration law," Estatuto Arbitral Colombiano - Análisis y aplicación de la ley 1563 de 2012, Colombian Committee of Arbitration, Legis Editores S.A., 2013¨
- "The waiver of the annulment resource against the award in commercial arbitration," Ecuatoriana de Arbitraje Magazine, 2011
- "The regulation of resale price maintenance: the next chapter of Colombian competition law," Competition Law Magazine, volume 7 no. 7, 2011
- "Forum selection and choice of law clauses in International contracts: A view from Colombian Private International Law," Magazine of Private Law, No. 44, Universidad de Los Andes, Law Faculty, July-December 2010¨
- Co-author, "The relevance of the so called 'Nationality of the Arbitral Award' in the New York Convention," Ecuadorian Magazine of Arbitration, Ecuadorian Institute of Arbitration, 2010
- "The Civil Extra-contractual, Contractual and Pre-contractual liability of Legal Persons," Law of Obligations, Section II, Volume 1, 2010
- "North American influence in Colombian contract Law," Liber Amicorum in tribute to Cesar Gómez Estrada, Universidad Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Señora del Rosario Editorial, 2009
- Co-author, "Ten years of Merck: a decade of evolution of international commercial arbitration in Colombia," Ecuadorian Magazine of Arbitration, Ecuadorian Institute of Arbitration, Cevallos Editora Jurídca, 2009
- Co-author, "Article VI of the New York Convention," The International Commercial Arbitration – Study of the New York Convention on its 50th Anniversary, Universidad Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Señora del Rosario; Law Faculty of Universidad de Buenos Aires Abeledo Perrot, 2008
- "The Constitutional Protection of Arbitration," International Arbitration – Actual Tensions, Legis Editores S.A., 2007
- "Microsoft before the European Authorities: Reflections on antitrust policy for international Operations," Private Law and Globalization, Jurídicas Gustavo Ibáñez Ltda. Editions, Bogotá, Colombia, 2005
- "Antitrust laws in the context of economic integration: The case of the free trade area of the Americas," Colombian Economy Magazine, Contraloría General de la República, 299 Edition, November/December 2003
Activities and Affiliations
- Center of Arbitration and Conciliation of the Chamber of Commerce of Bogotá
- American Chamber of Commerce of Perú (AMCHAM Perú)
- Latin American Arbitration Group, International Chamber of Commerce in Paris
- Latin American Arbitration Association (ALARB)
- Colombian Arbitration Committee
- Advisory Board, Institute for Transnational Arbitration, The Center for American and International Law
- Colegio de Abogados Comercialistas
Prior and Present Employment
- Dentons Cardenas & Cardenas, Partner, 2014-present
- Cárdenas & Cárdenas Abogados Ltda., Senior Associate, 2011-2014
- Teacher of Antitrust and Costumer Protection for under graduate and postgraduate students, Universidad de los Andes, 2000-2015
- Director and professor of the Specialization in International Business Law, Universidad de los Andes Faculty of Law, 2003-2005
- Gómez – Pinzón Zuleta Abogados S.A., Member of the Team of Dispute Resolution & Investment Protection, March 2005 - May 2011